In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing.Teddy Roosevelt.
Most of us know the right thing to do. The hard part is pulling the trigger.
Elizabeth and I have faced decision after decision over the past several months. Some of those decisions were seemingly difficult. Yet when we stepped back and looked at the big picture, most were not difficult at all. Pulling the trigger, however, was the major step!
Do the right thing! It’s a barometer that works in every facet of your thinking, be it at home, work or play.
Before my temporary forced coronavirus retirement, I had the privilege of coming alongside employees every day to assist them with life issues. I heard the challenges, issues and burdens they face or carry on their shoulders. Some were basic matters involving finances and relationships while others were deeper or more complex.
Invariably, when we would get down to the nitty-gritty, most would know the right thing to do. They knew the answer or how to respond. Still, there always seemed to be an obstacle or reason they couldn’t, wouldn’t or didn’t pull the trigger.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it.William Penn
Today is Monday and most of you have been home for a few weeks. My guess is that you are facing decisions right now, some of which you may have put off for days, weeks or months. Those decisions or choices probably range from insignificant to very important.
Pick one of those dilemmas, then look deep within your heart. Chances are you know how to proceed, but you haven’t pulled the trigger for one reason or another.
Oh, and if you don’t have a list, make it right now. Write down — yes, WRITE down — things at the top that you’ve been putting off perhaps for months! Start there!
Here are some possibilities. My guess is that at least one of these is on your list.
- Do a personal checkup! You can start here with our Weekend Questions post. The questions will make you stop and think and reevaluate where you are!
- Call a family member you haven’t called in quite some time.
- Help someone else! People will say “I’m okay”, but you likely know someone who needs something that you can provide!
- If you’re struggling financially, talk to a creditor about extending your payment during this crisis. Being proactive always helps!
- Read a good book. Yes, it requires your focus and forces you to expand your attention span. Need suggestions? Email us, we’ve got dozens of ideas!
- Exercise! Take a walk around the neighborhood, ride a bike, work outside in the yard, fix something, but don’t just sit there!
Why not kickstart your week by making and implementing that decision? Do the right thing. Take the burden off your shoulder and move forward!
What else did you have planned today anyway?
Want our FREE JUMPSTART YOUR LIFE guide? Click on DOWNLOAD below for your free copy!
It is never wrong to do the right thing.Mark Twain.